As I have grown up, I have put effort into a lot of things. I have pushed myself in difficult classes and worked to become the president of my local 4H club. The one instance that stands out in my mind is my time spent playing football.
Being naturally awkward and uncoordinated, I was never a star player in any sport. I played baseball, basketball, and ran track through elementary school and Junior high; mostly because I was needed to meet the minimum number of players for a team. It wasn’t until freshman year that I found my sport.
In fall 2007 I joined my high school football team. Because I lacked such skills as catching and speed, I was thrown in with the lineman as a practice dummy. I unenthusiastically accepted my new job and saw it as my way to contribute to the team, but after many bruises and grass stains I realized that occasionally I could out block the varsity lineman. Being 145 pounds I had the advantage of quickness over the 300 pound lineman. I continued the year practicing against the varsity line but never playing. The following summer I spent riding my bike 6 miles into town to lift weights and riding home. I planned to be prepared for my sophomore year.
In fall football practice began again, and so did team weight lifting. We began by maxing out and much to my coaches surprise, I could squat and deadlift just as much as most seniors including the varsity linemen. In practice I continued my effort and proved myself worthy of being a second string lineman. Each time I played was against someone outweighing me by nearly 100 pounds but never giving up.
My Junior and Senior years, I played starting line for both offense and defense of every game. I never grew, but through hard work my abilities did. I believe that this story represents a time in my life when I was at my best. I put forth my best effort and was rewarded for it.
Daniel,
ReplyDeleteIts always nice when our hard work pays off, know that if you continue that hard work it will most likely pay off in college. If it doesn't, I feel like you will be the type of guy who will just get back up on your feet and try again!